Tuesday, July 20, 2010

My latest hobby

 

We've started building furniture. If you remember a while back I built the Pottery Barn bookcase for Austin's room. We'll we started another one and never finished it because my mom had to repo her air compressor from my house. So, my friend Hollyn was on fire to build something so we loaded up our 1/2 finished shelf and headed to her cousin's house who offered his basement for us to build and beat the heat. We built the Pottery Barn Hyde Side table on Friday night, then finished the 2nd side table on Sunday night. Last night we decided to build more and so we went to Lowe's (My FAV place to shop!) and bought the materials to build the Pottery Barn Hyde Coffee Table. I got a few cuts in before it was Saws-Off time. We are trying not to overstay our welcome so we quit cutting at 9:15. After we build the coffee table, that I hope is complete in the next day or two, we are going to start on the matching media center and the console table from the same Pottery Barn collection, then a 32x80 dining table, then a King Farmhouse bed, then a ohhh, I don't know, but I hope to build it all. I absolutely LOVE building. I can't wait to get all the pieces complete so I can distress & stain them. It's killing me to have raw wood sitting there but I want to wait until I have all the pieces complete before finishing so I can have a uniform look to all of it. I have spent a total of $44 for 2 side tables that retail for $199.99 EACH and spent $32.00 on a coffee table that retails for $499.99.

If you have a few basic tools in your garage and want to give it a try, go to www.knockoffwood.com and search for a beginner plan. I promise it's a ton of fun to build something from a pile of wood!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: